MoonFields

...

Fields of fairies and daydreams and unicorns and rainbows where people come to frolic ~

I.E. That English girl on youtube who cooks badly and forces people to eat it.

I cosplay, write and derp. That's about it.

...
About YouTube Cosplay Island Facebook Instagram

Becoming ‘Khalessi’ - Stage Four

Dragonscale and all the embellishments! (Apologies for the length but I know people have issues with images on my blog page if I put things into a read more!)

With all the cut offs and remaining fabric I made dragonscale to sit on the dress. I could go indepth about how I did this but really it’ll be easier just to link this guide. It took me a few goes to get ‘into’ it, but once I had eased into it I actually found it quite relaxing. Here are a few progress photos of the basic process:

First plotting out the ‘map’. I actually found this to be the most time consuming part. xD I just used tailors chalk.

image

Then I did all the pulling through as detailed on the guide above and ended up with something that looks a bit like this!

image

On the other side it’ll look like this. The design will be slightly raised:

image

Then all I did was iron the pieces to flatten them 

image

As you can see I had a bit of an issue with fraying fabric (it’s still all over my house). But when I sewed them onto the dress I had to cut most of the excess off anyway so it hasn’t really been a problem.

And just because, have a pile of (unpressed) dragonscale. This isn’t all I made…although I ended up having bits left over. 

image

I didn’t take any photos of the progress of working out where it would sit on the dress. It really just involved a lot of studying references to death, pinning them in place, trying the dress on and adjusting. I also had to cut some pieces down to size. This actually took quite a bit of time, but I think it’s worth spending time on to get it perfect after all that effort making the scales! 

I started to sew the dragonscale on, as per the guide. But then I realised it would make much more sense (and save time), if I was to sew the gold pieces on at the same time. For the gold bits I used an italian wire tubular mesh ribbon. It’s really cool stuff which I’ve never worked with before, It can basically be pulled and twisted into all sorts of unusual shapes and it’ll hold its shape. 

For the embroidery I did attempt to get the exact book the designer used so I could get the perfect lock stitch. I had a bit of a stinker trying to get my hands on it though and in the end I had lots of days off around Christmas which seemed a shame to waste sitting around waiting for a book, so instead I decided (with GoldenMochi’s help!) to go for a interlocked chain stitch instead. It’s very similar and tbh I actually like the finished ‘look’ of it more than the lock stitch! I’m a bit of a beginner to embroidery but luckily the details on Dany’s dress are actually quite random and uneven (good for me!)  So basically once I’d pinned everything in place I used a chain stitch to fix it to the fabric. 

Here’s a detail shot of the first bit I did: 

image

Then it’s basically just a long process of doing it all the way around the dress (whilst staring at references) 

image

image

image

And down the front too:

image

I wont show the back just yet because…tbh I ran out of thread (This beast takes A LOT) but i’m sure i’ll post a photo of it in a later part!

If I was to make this again (no) I would probably choose a slightly darker thread, but this shade was actually the closest I could find to the sapphire of my dress believe it or not. Because of that it’s quite a bit more pronounced than the actual dress, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing, I think it adds to the ‘dragon-like’ design of it, so I’m not immensely regretting my choice. xD 

After all that is done, it’s time for the final details. The beads on the arms and neckline are Miyuki Tila beads and Miyuki drop beads in matt metal patina iris. 

image

I sewed this in a sort of ‘scaley’ fashion (again I ran out and had to buy more of the square ones!) along the tips of the sleeves and the top of the neckline…

image

And that’s pretty much it! That’s the dress done! :D I’ll post the photos of me wearing it in a separate part…

«< Stage Three - Making the Base Dress

Stage Five »> Finished Dress Photos